Last week I attended the presentation of an interesting study on trends and practices worldwide leadership development. The study was conducted in the U.S. by Right Management Company with The Conference Board, and is based on a survey of more than 650 organizations 14 sectors globally (210 I Case, 176 in Europe and 254 America), and interviews with experts in leadership development globally.
The main conclusions from this study are as follows:
– The 40% Global leaders are not sufficiently prepared for the challenges of the next business 24 months. This point, in my opinion, has to do with the excessive short-termism that I see daily in the management of all types of businesses and sectors. Therefore, one of the key skills to develop managers in priority is the vision and global thinking, and later says the report.
– The 5 key skills you need to have a leader of the XXI century the study, agree fairly well among Asian executives surveyed, North America and Europe, are as follows, in order of importance:
1. Leading Change. This competition is the main, on three continents. It is clear that the digital revolution has caused an acceleration and a dimension of changes ever seen in the history of mankind, forcing managers to know how to lead change in an organization.
2. Vision and global thinking. As we have said, This competition requires a long-term vision, and is one of the main gaps in current management, that operate mainly by urgency and importance not. This deficiency has a direct impact on the business brutal business today.
3. Retain and develop talent. It is curious that this competition has greater importance in Asia and the U.S. than in Europe, but also appears in the continent as one of the key skills. Hoy un directivo debe convencerse de una vez que una de sus principales funciones es motivar y desarrollar a su equipo, but to get this I think we need a few more years.
4. Collaboration. Social and technological changes force you to change the paradigm of aggressive competition for a much more collaborative and looking for synergies. Once more, prevails in today's enterprises individualism and territorialism (defend my territory above the overall benefit of the company).
5. Integrity. It is interesting that the values are considered by respondents as a competition or skill. But it is clear that there is a need for the behavior and decisions of the management of the present and future are supported solidly on values or ethical principles. Integrity can not be faked or buy, have to prove with facts consistent over time. Hence, the manager must constantly review their values to verify that there is deviating from the right path.
If you are interested in developing these essential skills in the management of your company, please contact us for more information.
Have you been interested in this item?
Follow us on Follow @Execoach_
And sign up for our Newsletter monthly for practical items for your professional development.