After analyzing in the previous post the causes and consequences of the lack of delegation in firms, going to detail the 4 phases of effective delegation. One of the reasons was precisely wield the fact of not knowing how to delegate, and in fact we forget basic and essential elements every time we delegate a task in a collaborative. These are the 4 phases:
1. Explain the task. This seems so obvious and simple it is, and is one of the stages where executives make more mistakes. At this stage we must explain clearly and concretely the following:
– What is the task?
– How to do?
– For when (exact date) I want the end?
– What is this task? What sense does?
The four points of this phase are crucial. Must be explained in a very specific task, and especially the exact date that I want the end, and certainly, explain the meaning and purpose of the task.
2. Allow trading and seek compromise. We must allow our partner to negotiate the elements of the previous phase (date, how to approach the task), is essential to allow Him to speak, put the “buts”, really listen. Just so, and addressing their concerns and needs, we can make it a real commitment and involvement.
3. Monitor and support. Many executives fail at this stage, because they think that the work of delegation and ends at the stage 2. The result is that they find work not performed on time, or poorly executed, causing numerous problems and conflicts. We track, without going into details without overwhelming the contributor, and be aware of the evolution of the task. This will avoid unpleasant surprises.
4. Give and ask for feedback on the process of delegation. This fourth phase is no less important than the other. If not analyze with collaborator calmly and critically the process from both sides, we can not improve. We should give feedback both positive and negative al contributor, and also ask us feedback to improve our work to delegate.
If you put all your attention to these 4 phases, with the points I have mentioned, I assure you that you shall become an expert delegator, and your performance and dramatically increase effectiveness as a leader, and the motivation and productivity of your team. Clearly, Delegation is one of the skills of the leaders who create high performance teams.
Managing Partner Execoach